Friday, February 1, 2008

The Perfect Beach Day



At last, a sunny day. Of course, it's all good, some are better than others:-) We have eggs and toast and a fruit platter with Lion coffee and head up the road to Anini Beach. So many intentions: to read, to stroll and find shells, to draw or practice yoga? There was time for everything! Gail and I take a delightful stroll up to the Stallone place. The Puka shells will adorn a dotted frame. I tried to pick up a rather large crab (properly) who was mostly hidden below the sand. When I realized how big he was I panicked and let him go. He scurried across my feet, causing me further freaking.
Dan took us to Red Hot Mamas for a burrito on the beach. The store sign read, "Established in 1975." It looked like it could be from the 40's (like me). Things here really weather.
The afternoon was spend on Kepuhi Beach, where some dogs remembered Dan from last year and joined us. Dan threw a lot of sticks for this shaggy, sandy duo.
Once home, Dan napped and Gail had her first yoga class with me. I designed about 5- 15 minute classes, as not to overwhelm. Child's Pose, back breathing and Cat and Cow variations today.
Then I went to Yoga Hanalei for Relax Deeply with Melissa. We began with alternate nostril breathing. Some neck, hand and spine stretches. and into the deep, five minutes asanas. The papaya colored room, lit with a row of flickering candles, heavy rain showers and gentle jazz set the tone. ("It is the suspension of time that occurs when we are so immersed in an activity that we become it." D.F.)Melissa thanked us for practicing yoga saying, "The world is a better place because we study yoga." Donna Farhi echoed the same thought. We practice not to achieve samadhi, but to live with more compassion and kindness.
Dan and Gail prepared a mixed grill feast which we savored on the lanai, lingering over a good red wine. Mahalo friends. . .
"

No comments: