Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Aloha Gail and rain and yoga

It's a good thing Dan and I were both born in Portland, Oregon; for we both love rain. This vacation has given me an opportunity to really study it. During our delightful banana taro waffle breakfast (Dan-o! Dan-o!)the rain 'sizzled' at the Cliffs. This morning the showers came in waves, like an oscillating sprinkler. It is 76 degrees and we are happy slogging here and there.
We bid Gail Sue a fond Aloha at 9:30in the morning. We needed to locate a room for Saturday, our 15th night on the island and toured Lihue looking at properties Dan had read about; torrential rain, light drizzle, a gentle showers all day long. We, like a stream, meandered our way home. I saw this sink at two Frogs Hugging.


We liked Scotty's for lunch with a pleasant view of the surf. Winding back to the Farmer's Market, we picked up tumeric and ginger roots, bananas, oranges and greens. Then a little swordfish at the Hanalei Dolphin and a stop for coffee and potatoes at Foodland in Princeville. We considered hot tubbing in the rain. . .



Dan watches the Super Tuesday election coverage and I read, looking out through the veil of low rain clouds to view some happy whales slapping their fins.
Relax Deeply was outstanding, because Bhavani was teaching. My eccentric, precious teacher. Pure theta brain waves(the place between waking and sleeping). She explained the close link between physiology and psychology. We followed our eyes along the optic nerve to a deep place in the hypothalamus. Then we moved through the ears along the auditory canal to deep within the brain. Then up the nostril channels, along sinuses and we all met at the pineal gland. This may have been during savasana. I can never be sure when I leave that studio, where I was or am. . .
She read from Rumi, Hafiz and the Tao while we held poses for 5 to 11 minutes. (Oopsie) She gets lost too.
The poses were Butterfly, reclining Butterfly, Firelegs or double pigeon, Legs up the Wall (closed and falling open wide) Virasana or Hero's pose, and a Twisted Vine.
My adorable Dan was there to guide me through the downpour to the waiting car and home. Savoring the drizzle,we grilled at the gazebo and sipped a Mai Tai. Dinner was sushi and swordfish, baked potatoes with roasted garlic and a Sterling Chardonnay.
For Your Consideration is a funny film by Christopher Guest which ended the day on a silly note.
Sleeping deeply to the tropical water falling. Mahalo

1 comment:

Gail said...

The rain here in Portland is cold. Tonight it's especially windy and wet and cold. It makes the rain of Kauai seem soothing and cleansing. I'm missing it all already. It's hard to believe that just yesterday I was there with you in the warm rain of Hawaii.
I had a full day of massage clients today... So easily shifting back into the routine of work and daily life. I added my new yoga routine to my day this morning. I felt good all day. Thanks Susan!
I love your picture of the fruit from the Farmer's Market...I can almost taste those sweet, creamy little bananas!