Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ash Wednesday

Grey, grey and more grey above the verdant jungle greeens. ( the French Polynesian spelling:-)
I took one look at Dan and it was a Holden Village moment.
"Do I need to get you out of here today?" I asked. There was only a slight response.
I offered to swap my hatha yoga for a Bikram yoga class so we could go South for the day, gaining two hours of sunshine, and a bit of beach time.
The light in his eyes glittered. Twelve years of marriage, I know my husband.
My offering to take a Bikram class seemed right at the time. And I like to push myself every year or two to try one.( I am like that) The first Bikram yoga I ever took was a near death experience. A hot day, apparently dehydrated, and wearing polyester . In no time at all I was ready to vomit. I sat at the wall and the teacher watched me carefully for 90 minutes. Once home, Dan was instructed to put me in a bath of epsom salts and to feed me lots of electrolyte beverages.
When I take the class here I am terrified and wiggle nervously all the way into Hanalei. In my mind I am pushing Ahimsa, non violence ( to myself.)
Bikram Yoga is a series of 26 poses done in a room heated to 105 degrees. A 'drill seargant' barks orders for ninety minutes. You are to do as commanded. It's not a kind and gentle practice. And two sit ups are practiced between asanas. (Spin and give me two!")
So I enter and meet the lovely Janet, I tell her I am terrified and will do my best. My eyes are weak but my inner practice strong.
I will draw upon Yvonne's Shanti wisdom and my home practice, including Svatyaya or self study.
To make this story short, it was pure bliss. I stayed in each moment, breathing and not going too deep. I said a prayer of thanks between each pose and didn't "Leak" energy, moving minimally. (This was key). Then it was over, I hopped up and met Dan at the car. He thoughtfully brings me a Fresh ginger lemonade from the Polynesian Cafe. It is an acquired taste, grated ginger. Dan knows it cleanses and rejuvenates me. He is a great husband.
We are off quickly to the blue skies of Waimea.



We have a pupu platter at the Brew Pub ; fresh shrimp , lumpia spring rolls and teri chicken on skewers with pineapple.

Then we settle on a beach and just enjoy the sun and surf, spotting a few of the 30, 000 whales offshore.
Dinner is at Pomodoro Italian before Ash Wednesday service at Lihue Lutheran with Pastor Paul. The placing of ashes on the forehead is a powerful reminder that weare dust and will return to dust. Talk about organic.( don't panic)
We spin home through more showers; a downpour, a gully washer a deluge and a drip.
Here are few hibiscus to meditate upon, Mahalo





1 comment:

Gail said...

I'm looking forward to seeing these hibiscus' in paint!